Thursday, April 25, 2013

Taking a Moment to Breathe. Reflections from the Studio





The last week has showed me that sometimes hope and courage in combination can move mountains.  Many of you know about the struggles our family has faced over the last year, especially the last 6 months.  There has been a huge turning point to the positive and I am...for the first time in a long long time able to breath again.  The hope that I have held onto so dearly has changed shape going from a desperate hope to a hope that with it carries a smile.  

A mother's love for her child is like nothing else on this earth.  It's gentle and sweet during the easy times, but tenacious and ferocious like a lion when put to the challenge of defending and saving her own.  I know this having experienced it first hand.  Don't mess with the mamma! 

For the first time in my life, I have used my art to get through it all. It has distracted me when I needed to be distracted.  It has comforted me when I needed comforting.  Through this time, I have re-connected with my artist child, clinging to it like a baby clings to it's blanket.  I don't intend on ever letting it go again because I realize that it is so much an important part of who I am.  I am amazed at what I have learned about myself. Without this difficult trial, I might not have ever found my way back to me.

F.G. in Gouache, Gouache and Charcoal on Paper
This was a quick painting based off a photograph that I took back when my son was 12.  He was standing up on a hill in Central Park in New York City.  I saved the photograph for years hoping to use it in the studio.   On a particularly gloomy day, I decided to make this piece using a combination of Payne Grey in Gouache and charcoal. 

The road ahead will not be easy.  But if I have learned anything, I have learned that every path has a purpose...no matter how dark it might be...there is always light somewhere down it. You just gotta keep putting one foot in front of the other.

***
Linking this to Paint Party Friday.

15 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

love the artwork and your outlook- you are right. every path, no matter how dark and scary at the time, leads to something better.

Grammy Goodwill said...

Oh, I am so glad to see this post. I had just reminded myself to email you today to check on you. I really like both paintings you showed, but the one of your son has to be a favorite. I think he's raising his arms in victory. Keep reminding him that he can be victorious!

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

Both paintings have such power! One I can see hope the other I see struggle. Not sure if I am right on either but that is the feel I get. Your art always moves me. You are so talented my friend. So glad you have this medium to comfort you.

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Your art is all the better for the passion you are pouring in to it. I'm so sorry for your struggles!

NanaDiana said...

Life is never easy, nor is it ever what we expect life to be. I am glad that you have your artwork for an outlet. I think it is great therapy for you. Keep us posted and know that I am praying for a peaceful heart for you- xo Diana

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I think we're all trying to find our way in this world. You seem to be on the right track with your positive outlook after a long painful journey. Your new piece seems to be a different style from what you've shown us before. It's wonderful! :)

froebelsternchen said...

we have to take it easy...
Great ARTWORK!
Happy PPF
xxx
FROEBELSTERNCHEN FROM AUSTRIA

ART-JOURNAL-JOURNEY
MOO-MANIA-CHALLENGE


Carolyn@Sweet Chaos Home said...

Beautiful words and art. Praying for you and your son.

Mary C. Nasser said...

So glad your art has been a great comfort for you.
I adore that first landscape painting...it looks like a tree of hope to me.
♥♥♥
Happy PPF!!
Mary
Mixed-Media Map Art

Tracey FK said...

That first one is completely wonderful... love the muted colour palette and sorry for your troubles... hope that positive energy starts flowing your way...xx

www.dorissdaughter.com said...

Beautiful paintings I love the colours and drips in the first one

denthe said...

Both paintings are very strong, but I particularly like the first one: so much energy, such dynamism ... LOVE it! So good that your struggles seem to be at a turning point.

Annabelle said...

Love your artwork and your positive thoughts, even in darkness. Glad to hear you find solace in your art, I do as well. When you connect with others you find there are so many who are hurting and sharing helps to deal with the pain. Keeping you and your son in my prayers.
Love the triumphant piece of your son on the hill, so beautiful! The tree is also lovely.
Thanks for sharing.

Dianne said...

simply stunning art work, and such a profound message in your post! thank you for sharing...happy PPF!

Carola Bartz said...

Your tree painting is gorgeous, and the other image has a bit of a dark quality, but very fascinating at the same time. I like your outlook in your words and I can relate with a lot of them. Whatever may come in the future months/years, I wish you a lot of strength and optimism.